23XI Racing driver Kurt Busch has finally decided to not compete full-time in the NASCAR Cup Series from the 2023 season.
Busch has been struggling to get back to racing since he suffered concussion-like symptoms in a wreck during qualifying July 23 at Pocono Raceway. He has missed 12 races so far and now it is confirmed that we won’t see him racing for the rest of the season.
But not just that, it could be a while before we see Busch racing in the Cup Series as he has decided to not compete full-time in the series. He revealed his plan at his hometown track of Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
— Toyota Racing (@ToyotaRacing) October 15, 2022
“I know I am not 100% in my ability to go out and race at the top level in the NASCAR Cup Series,” Busch said. “These are the best of the best drivers, and lately, I haven’t felt my best. My long-term health is priority number one and I don’t feel committing at this point to compete for a championship next year is in my best interest or the best interest of the team.”
“It’s unfair to us” – NASCAR Vice Chairman hit out at the way drivers communicate these days
Busch’s place in the team will be taken up by Tyler Reddick, who was initially supposed to come to 23XI Racing in 2024. However, an agreement has been reached to bring him to the team from 2023, with Busch’s younger brother Kyle replacing Reddick in the Richard Childress Racing.
However, there is still a chance that Busch could return for some races in the 2023 season.
“I will get back to 100%, I promise,” Busch said. “If I’m cleared, maybe you’ll see me at a few select races” next season.
Busch has already started planning his career after the Cup Series and is looking to do something in the TV booth.
Kurt Busch said he plans to speak with Fox Sports this weekend and is considering doing something in the TV booth.
— Jeff Gluck (@jeff_gluck) October 15, 2022
The 2004 champion has 34 wins, the latest of which came this season at Kansas Speedway.