After his last race for the Xfinity Series at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Dale Earnhardt Jr. said that the race might be his last one.
Retired from full-time Cup Series competition since 2017 season, Dale Earnhardt Jr. has continued to compete for the Xfinity series once every year since then. He drove at Richmond Raceway in 2017 (finished 4th) and at Darlington Raceway in 2018 (finished 6th).
He competed in Saturday’s Hooters 250 and finished 5th in the race. As a co-owner of JR Motorsports and his broadcast booth duties with NBC Sports, Earnhardt Jr. is not sure whether he will race again in the Xfinity Series next year. He said (via NASCAR):
“I think right now it’s just going to stay the same. I don’t want to do any more, that’s for sure. I can say that with confidence. I don’t know how many more of these I’ll do. This might be the last one, and this ain’t no tease or anything like that. I’m not trying to be annoying about that. It’s a lot of a commitment, and I just…I don’t know. It’s getting to the point to where I’ve got to decide whether I’m helping things or I’m not helping the team, how can I help the team in other ways. I don’t know.
“I really enjoy it. I really do, but I think there’s got to be a point to where I decide to make the change to broadcasting entirely. With that said, being in the car today, I certainly learned a ton that’s going to help me in the (broadcast) booth. I’ve just got to think about it, and I certainly don’t want to run more. One is plenty and it’s a great series. We’ll just see how it goes. I guess it’s a tough question to answer.”
[Read More: NASCAR wanted to prove a point with the unfair penalty, says Kyle Busch]